Recent Blog Post
Hiring A Real Estate Attorney
Last week, I talked about hiring a realtor to help you with the process of moving if you have decided to leave your marital home. In this article, I want to tell you about another way that you can avoid the stress of selling your home and buying a new one – hiring a real estate lawyer. While you might be skeptical about hiring yet another lawyer now that your divorce is over, hiring a real estate lawyer to help you through this process can help you in the long run.
Why hire a real estate lawyer?
There are many reasons to hire a real estate lawyer if you are moving. A few of the top ones are:
- Help with negotiations. When you are buying a new home, you will have to deal with a lot of contracts and paperwork. A real estate lawyer can catch issues within these legal documents and negotiate them for you due to his or her experience and knowledge of real estate law. A real estate agent will be qualified to help you with legal matters and make sure that your best interest is being served.
- Problem solving. Negotiations will only work if both parties can reach a compromise. To ensure that this happens, you need someone who is dedicated to working through issues and coming up with solutions to them. A real estate attorney can help you bypass problems and make sure that you are able to buy a new home as smoothly as possible.
- Help with the closing. The closing is the last step in your house-buying process. You want to have an attorney present at the closing to attend to any last minute issues and give you advice about the contracts and documents that you are signing. Having a real estate lawyer present at the closing will give you peace of mind as you take this big step in your life.
Who should I hire?
If you have determined that you want to hire a real estate lawyer to help you with your real estate needs, you need to make sure that you find the right one. Not all lawyers will be the right fit for you. Consider hiring a lawyer that has the following characteristics if you are seriously interested in finding one who can:
- Help with negotiations. Buying a new home can quickly become an expensive process. But not all lawyers are unaffordable – in fact, a lot of great lawyers will work with you to make sure that you can afford their services. Make sure you look for a lawyer who charges a flat fee so that there are no hidden costs.
- Offer free consultations. Going along with the theme of affordability, you should try to find a real estate agent that offers a free consultation. You can meet with the attorney free of charge to determine if you will work well together.
- Provide great credentials. Consider how long the attorney that you are considering hiring has been a real estate lawyer. Ask him or her how he or she can specifically help you given your situation. This will help you make sure that you find a knowledgeable, qualified lawyer.
If you are interested in hiring a real estate attorney to help you move, you should consider talking to my friend Lady Closings. You can meet with her during a free consultation to discuss your situation.